Removing Bed Bugs from Your Mattress
Bed bugs are pests that feed on the blood of humans. They live on the bed mattress as well. If you are getting insect bites at night or noticed bed bugs in seams and crevices on your mattress, you need to remove bed bugs from your mattress.
What Are Bed Bugs?
Bed bugs measure 5 millimeters across. They are smart, tough and reproduce quickly. Bed bugs know where to hide to avoid detection and can live for months between meals. A healthy female can lay 500 eggs in her lifetime.
Bed bugs feed on your blood and they range from light brown to reddish brown in colour with a flattened oval shape. They can be seen with the naked eye but tend to hide in the daytime. They feed at night when humans are asleep.
Where Do Bed Bugs Hide?
Bed bugs are not dust mites. They are not normal to live with at home. These bloodsuckers can leave red and itchy welts all over your body if they were to live in your mattress. They can be found almost anywhere from crevices in the skirting boards under carpets and crevices in your mattress. The population of bed bugs increases wherever there are many human beings living near each other. Fortunately, most Singaporeans don't have to deal with bedbugs.
How to Remove Bed Bugs in Mattress
If you noticed bed bugs in your mattress, here are steps you can take to remove them.
- Remove your bedding from your mattress. Place them in a bag to prevent any bed bugs from escaping to other areas in the house. Place your bedding into the washing machine and wash with hot water.
- Throw out your pillows and bolsters. Get your vacuum and vacuum your mattress carefully, paying attention to the seams, crevices and indentations where bed bugs love to hide. Take your vacuum cleaner outside the house and empty the vacuum cleaner bag. Clean the vacuum container to ensure no bed bugs are hiding in the vacuum cleaner.
- Place your mattress and box spring in a bed bug proof encasement - a highly specialised mattress protector made of special material bed bugs are unable to bite through. The zipper is so snug even the smallest bed bug cannot escape through it. Keep the cover on for at least a year to ensure the bed bugs and their eggs in the mattress have died.
- Remove your mattress and use pesticide spray to spray on the bed frame and headboard with attention to cracks and joins. Ensure you are using the pesticide carefully and apply as directed. It can be fatal if used wrongly.
- Pull your bed away from the wall and place each leg of your bed frame into bed bug interceptor cups. These cups contain insecticide to trap and kill any bed bugs that might try to escape from the bed.
- Vacuum the floor thoroughly and inspect for any bed bugs in your bedroom and the other areas in your home. Be vigilant for the next few weeks at periodic intervals as any recently laid eggs could be hatching and maturing at this time.
Consider calling in a pest control professional if you feel you aren't able to take care of the bed bug infestation in your home.
Also, instead of cleaning out your new mattress, you can choose to get a new mattress. Affairs Living's MattX™ Mattress are hybrid. They come in the combination of latex and memory foam.
About Affairs Living
Affairs Living is one of Singapore’s leading smart furnishing solutions. Dedicated to helping you create a cosy living space you’d look forward to at the end of the day, our selection of bedding accessories—ranging from quilt covers to fitted sheet sets—can truly provide you with the ultimate sleeping experience.
Whether you’re looking for an adjustable bed base for the perfect sleeping position or a mattress that can alleviate your back pain, we can be your one-stop solution. Our smart home technology also carries the promise of ending morning grogginess through an AI Function SMART Alarm, head and foot controls, and presetting your favourite positions!
Here at Affairs Living, we have everything you need to make your bedroom feel like a luxury hotel. Grab the best deals, enjoy same-day delivery services and visit our newest showroom to start the most romantic affair of your homeownership journey. Shop now!